Calcium propionate is an acid-type food preservative. Under acidic conditions, it produces free propionic acid, which has antibacterial effect. Its antibacterial effect is affected by the pH value of the environment. The mold inhibitory effect is the best when the pH value is 5.0, so how to calculate the amount of calcium propionate added?
Calcium propionate has a strong inhibitory effect on various molds, Gram-negative bacilli or aerobic bacilli in acidic media (starch, protein and oily substances), and can also inhibit the production of aflatoxin, while Yeast is harmless, harmless to humans and animals, and has no toxic side effects. It is a new, safe and efficient food and feed antifungal agent for food, brewing, feed, and traditional Chinese medicine preparations. Do you know how to calculate the amount of calcium propionate added?
- my country’s “Hygienic Standards for the Use of Food Additives” (GB 2760-2011) stipulates that it can be used in soy products, raw grains, raw wet noodle products (such as noodles, dumpling wrappers, wonton wrappers, siu mai wrappers), bread, pastry, vinegar , soy sauce and others (for the processing technology of canned bayberry), of which the maximum usage amount of bean products, bread, cakes, vinegar, and soy sauce is 2.5g/kg, the maximum usage amount of raw grain is 1.8g/kg, raw wet noodle products (such as noodles, Dumpling wrappers, wonton wrappers, siu mai wrappers) the maximum consumption amount is 0.25g/kg, others (for canned bayberry processing technology) the maximum consumption amount is 50.0g/kg. (Note: The maximum usage above is calculated as propionic acid)
- Regulations of Taiwan Province of my country (1986): It can be used for bread and steamed snacks, with a maximum dosage of 2.5g/kg (calculated as propionic acid).
- Japanese regulations (1985): for cheese, the maximum dosage is 3g/kg (calculated by propionic acid); for bread and Western-style cakes, the maximum dosage is 2.5g/kg (calculated by propionic acid). If calcium propionate is used together with sorbic acid and potassium sorbate in cheese, or with one of these preparations, the amount used is below 3g/kg based on the total amount of propionic acid and sorbic acid juice.
- German regulations: in thin black bread slices, 0.3~0.6g of calcium propionate is added per kilogram of flour.
- British and American regulations: Due to the short storage time requirements for bread, the amount of calcium propionate added is relatively small, 0.15% to 0.3%.