Custard powder is a spice powder. Light yellow or light orange yellow, with strong milky and fruity aroma, it is composed of bulking agent, stabilizer, food flavor, food coloring, milk powder, starch and filler. Originally, custard powder was mainly used for making pastries and puddings in Western food, but it was later introduced by Hong Kong chefs before being used in Chinese cooking. The custard powder is easy to melt and is suitable for soft, fragrant and slippery hot and cold desserts (such as cakes, egg rolls, stuffing, bread, egg tarts and other pastries). It is mainly based on its special aroma and taste. Ideal food spice powder.
Common custard powders include milk-flavored custard powder, ordinary custard powder, and instant custard powder. Among them, instant custard powder is a kind of common spice powder, which is usually used for bread, pastry surface decoration or interior filling and filling. It can be directly dissolved in cold water and used. It is a ready-to-eat filling ingredient.
Traditional custard powder needs to be heated to the gelatinization temperature of starch (60-70°C) after adding water, and then cooled before use, which is a cumbersome process.
21 grams of custard powder, 250 grams of fresh milk, 16 grams of sugar
First, mix 6 tablespoons of milk and 21 grams of custard powder until combined. Add the remaining milk and sugar to a pot and bring to a boil. Mix the custard powder and milk mixture into the boiling milk. Turn off the flame and stir quickly until well mixed. The finished product is used for production.
Suitable for the crowd:
suitable for majority of the people
High-quality custard powder is fine and uniform, and should be protected from moisture, mildew and odor.
The custard powder has 4 major functions:
- Fragrance: It can make the product have a strong milky and fruity aroma;
- Color enhancement: adding custard powder to the paste can produce bright yellow;
- Increase the crispness and make the product shape: add custard powder to the bulky paste, after frying, the product is crispy but not soft and deflated, and the shape is beautiful;
- Strong sticky slip: adding custard powder when thickening some dishes can produce sticky slip, good thickening effect and good transparency of the gravy.
Contraindications and side effects:
People with qi deficiency constitution, yang deficiency constitution and yin deficiency constitution should eat less.
Custard powder can be used to make custard sauce (commonly used filling in western pastries), custard filling (special powder), cheese cakes and other soft, fragrant and smooth hot and cold desserts (such as cakes, egg rolls) , stuffing, bread, fruit tarts, biscuits, puddings, tarts and other pastries), mainly for their special aroma and taste.
Originally, custard powder was mainly used for making pastries and puddings in Western food, but it was later introduced by Hong Kong chefs before being used in Chinese cooking. In practical application, we should clarify the dosage. If used improperly, the advantages of custard powder will turn into disadvantages under certain conditions.
- When making deep-fried dishes that need to maintain the original flavor of the raw materials, adding a large amount of custard powder can increase the color and crispness of the dishes, but the milky and fruity flavors will mask the original flavors of the raw materials and make the dishes. Losing the characteristics, in fact, if you use another leavening agent to cook such dishes, and then add a coloring agent, you can avoid it;
- Adding custard powder when the fish, shrimp and crab meat is sizing will definitely lose the original flavor of fish, shrimp and crab meat after the dish is finished, and even make the taste nondescript;
- The custard powder is used for the taste of the raw materials of the dishes, mainly lime juice, fruit juice and Hong Kong-style sweet and sour sauce dishes. For ribs, you can increase the amount of custard powder appropriately, about 15 grams is appropriate;
- When custard powder is used to thicken dishes, the dosage ratio is to add 2 to 5 grams of custard powder per 500 grams of raw materials, and it should be used together with water and starch;
- When the custard powder is used for the preparation of the crispy paste, 15% of the custard powder can be added to the paste.