Sodium benzoate, also known as sodium benzoate, is an organic substance with a chemical formula of C7H5NaO2. It is a white granular or crystalline powder, odorless or slightly benzoin odor, slightly sweet and astringent, with a relative molecular mass of 144.12. It is stable in air and easily soluble in water. The pH value of its aqueous solution is 8 and it is soluble in ethanol.
Benzoic acid and its salts are broad-spectrum antimicrobial agents, but their antimicrobial effectiveness is dependent on the pH of the food. As the acidity of the medium increases, its bactericidal and bacteriostatic effects are enhanced, but in alkaline medium, the bactericidal and bacteriostatic effects are lost. The optimum pH value of its anticorrosion is 2.5~4.0.
Physical and chemical properties:
1. Density: 1.44g/cm3
2. Melting point: 436℃
3. Appearance: white crystalline powder
4. Solubility: easily soluble in water, slightly soluble in alcohol
Computational chemical data:
1. Hydrophobic parameter calculation reference value (XlogP)
2. Number of hydrogen bond donors: 0
3. Number of hydrogen bond acceptors: 2
4. Number of rotatable chemical bonds: 1
5. Number of tautomers: none
6. Topological molecular polar surface area: 40.1
7. Number of heavy atoms: 10
8. Surface charge: 0
9. Complexity: 108
10. Number of isotope atoms: 0
11. Determine the number of atomic stereocenters: 0
12. The number of indeterminate atomic stereocenters: 0
13. Determine the number of chemical bond stereocenters: 0
14. Uncertain number of chemical bond stereo centers: 0
15. Number of covalent bond units: 2
1. Mainly used as food preservatives, also used to make medicines, dyes, etc.
2. Used in pharmaceutical industry and plant genetic research, also used as dye intermediates, fungicides and preservatives
3. Preservatives; Antimicrobials.
4. Sodium benzoate is also an important acid-type food preservative. Converts to the effective form benzoic acid on use. Please refer to benzoic acid for usage range and usage amount. In addition, it can also be used as a preservative for feed.
5. This product is used as food additives (preservatives), fungicides in the pharmaceutical industry, mordants in the dye industry, plasticizers in the plastic industry, and as intermediates in organic synthesis such as spices.
6. It is used as a cosolvent for serum bilirubin test, food additive (preservative), bactericide in the pharmaceutical industry, mordant in the dye industry, plasticizer in the plastic industry, and also used as an intermediate for organic synthesis such as spices.